2.4.2 Hates me :-(

I suffered a little reiserfs corruption the other day (okay well a lot :-),
after booting my new 2.4.2 kernel on my Sid setup.  So I just wiped it all
and reinstalled using ext2 only.  Being brave I build 2.4.2 again, hoping it
was strictly a reiserfs problem.  On first boot...file corruption.  /etc/X11
is nuked, along with several other things.  Anyone have any idea why 2.4.2
hates me?  I've always been using "-X66 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3" on the IDE drive
in question, without any problems.  I adjusted all the -oformat to --oformat
as needed to build said kernel in arch/i386/boot/makefile (it's late so I
hope that is right).  Never had any problems with corruption, with ext2 or
reiserfs, with any kernel, on any distro before.  I've been running the 2.4X
line since the first betas.  In case it matters I did a 'make-kpkg -bzimage
kernel_image' to build it.  The drive in question is an ATA IDE Seagate
Barracuda.  Just strange how I didn't do anything differently...

TIA,

annoyed (at this f$%#$#^ kernel, I still love the goodness of Debian 8^) and
tired ,

jt

PS	Hmm... wonder if I missed an important config change between 2.4.1
and 2.4.2.