Re: It's MY computer, not Bill's!

Hi,

> I've read over the docs for Debian and still feel a bit shy about making
> hard decissions about how to partition my new drive. I want to
> completely purge Microsoft from my system (life!) so I plan to replace
> the 10gig with the 42gig or at least put W95 back as an alternate
> system.
>
> I want to use this computer as a server for 2 other machines. I have 4
> users (self, wife and 2 kids). I would like to create an open ended
> situation where I can add/alter/remove as desired for software and
> hardware. Or, get as close to this as possible.
>
> Please feel free to respond to the following. I will really appreciate
> it and I THANK YOU in advance.
>
> I would like advice about partitioning.
Depends on what harddisks there are in the other computer, and what kind
of computers (clients) that are. If they are not very up to date, you may
want to use them as a X terminal (see www.ltsp.org for more information).
If you have a pretty good network, you could make the clients diskless
(root over nfs, works fine at me), reduces the noise of the harddisks.
So, it you want to do this, and you have other harddisks in the clients,
you have now even more options to partition your drive!

> I would like advice about keeping W95.
Depends on if your kids like to play the latest 3D games. If it is, I
should keep that hd unchanged (assuming windoze slurped about 10gigs). I
have an optional harddisk drive on which win98 is installed. Some suckers
(like government) still make progs that you can only use on m$ stuff.

> I would like advice about which kernel to use.
Do not start with 2.4.2 yet. I have some problems with it. It also depends
on what your computer is capable of (firewire, usb, video cards).
For using the kernel-nfs-daemon (which I think you are goining to need
this) I had succes with kernel 2.4.0. 2.2 kernels are buggy with this.

I have not figured out yet how to use swap over nfs, so think about memory
in the clients.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan