Re: debian on laptops

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, joe willson wrote:

> i have my laptop finally running fine but there are still a few things that's
> annoying me.  first off everyday i start up, debian keeps on reading my
> harddrive, i do a top and see that the program find is using like 16% of my
> cpu!  i think this is cause by cron loading up, so how can i turn this off.

anacron i belive someone said awhile ago...

> second thing is since i don't have suspend working plus i have to boot into
> windows sometimes i have to boot linux a few times a day.  the problem is
> fsck starts scanning the entire partition when it reaches max mount count....
> so is it a good idea to turn this off?

not a good idea to turn off.   what kind of laptop do you have?  if it's a
thinkpad, you'll need the thinkpad tools compiled for your kernel, and if
it's anything else, you'll need APM support in your kernel, which isn't
there by default.

running linux on laptops takes a little more work.