Re: stupid questions about apt-get/dpkg

re,

Ethan Benson(erbenson@alaska.net)@Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 11:38:57PM -0900:

> > How do you simply replace a package with another package that offers the same functionality?
> > exim provides mail-transport-agent
>
> apt-get install postfix
>
> exim gets removed, postfix gets installed.

oic, I just tried with qmail, but that was the .deb I created from source, so I imagine the dependency info is not in there...
I never tried with something else.

> > qmail as well
> >
> > so I want to upgrade mail-transport-agent from exim to qmail
> >
> > What's the best way to do that? Pointers on a good apt-get/dpkg faq?
>
> qmail is not packaged except as source because its non-free.

I know, but I think qmail is a very good MTA, it being non-free is not entirely true.
It's non-free to distribute as binary, but it is as source...
So free enough for me :)

DJB should change his policy, especially with all the bind shit happening right now, djbdns could become one of the major DNS systems.
Well, too bad, I prefer security over functionality.

--
	 People using html in email should be shot.

Good day for water sports.  Take a bath with a friend.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.