Re: AFS/Heimdal/Debian

>>>>> "Sam" == Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu> writes:

I have CCed this to bug #65387, as this has already been reported (but
needs updating as follows).

    Sam> Brian and I were discussing this a few weeks ago, and the
    Sam> impression I got was that he would rather keep the Heimdal
    Sam> packages krb5 only.  After all krb4 is really crappy and you
    Sam> don't want to be using it.  Sadly, AFS is sort of krb4 based
    Sam> for now.  Work is underway in the Openafs community to fix
    Sam> this, but it is not moving along particularly fast.

I think Sam has covered most the topic sufficiently, so I want
repeat what he has already mentioned.

    Sam> If you do get things working I would really appreciate a
    Sam> writeup of how to get openafs working with Heimdal to include
    Sam> in the package.

I think the source MIT Kerberos has built in support for Kerberos 4?

Heimdal source does not have support for Kerberos 4. Instead, it
needs to be built against kerberos4kth-dev.

Reasons why this is difficult include:

- heimdal-dev conflicts with kerberos4kth. No, not a bad problem, but
yes, a serious inconvenience.

- heimdal-lib conflicts with kerberos4kth1. This is a big problem.
Note: libdes conflicting is not an issue anymore, as Heimdal in
unstable no longer uses libdes, but openssl instead. I think the main
issue is libsl conflicting (see previous bug reports).

- I am reluctant to force everyone who uses Heimdal to install
kerberos4kth1, too; basically for the reasons Sam has already
mentioned. Perhaps I could make it easier to compile local packages
though.

Also see bug #65387, and #58090.

Now for something more positive (ie. if you want to help, read this):

IMHO There are way to many incompatible implementations of libraries
in all of these Kerberos packages. Things would be much simpler if
there was only one version of libcom_err and libsl[1], for instance
(an issue that recently was discussed on the Heimdal mailing
list[2]). This would remove the major library conflict between
kerberos4kth and Heimdal.

However, people on the Heimdal mailing list are unsure how to
proceed, so suggestions are welcome.

I experimented with trying to build e2fsprogs based on the Heimdal
libcom_err and libsl, but got stuck on some errors (I really don't
know anything except the bare basics about these libraries).

Note:
[1] Heimdal's libcom_err contains extensions to the version in e2fsprogs.
[2] see <URL:http://www.stacken.kth.se/lists/heimdal-discuss/2001-02/msg00041.html> and followups.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>