Re: Unstable packages on Stable distr.

Terry Hancock <hancock@earthlink.net> writes:

> In many cases these seem to be frivolous assumptions.
> It seems very implausible to me (for example)
> that compiling libsdl1.1 _really_ requires
> libc6 >= 2.1.97.  I'm pretty sure that, installing
> from source, libc6 version 2.1.3 (in Debian 2.2)
> will work.  So why this dependency?

Shared library dependencies are typically generated when the package is
built, so if it's build on a system running libc6 2.1.97, that is the
dependency that is put into the package.

The easiest way to get one or two packages from unstable is to add a
deb-src line to your sources.list that points to the unstable sources
and then do "apt-get source packagename" and build the package yourself.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! While you're chewing, think
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | of STEVEN SPIELBERG'S bank