RE: Getting to the GUI...

Hi again,

> Thanks for the offer of help, the request files follow.  Xlog.log is
> the output of the startx command.  Please note that I edited quite a
> bit of XF86Cconfig to compact it.

The XF86Config file looks OK to me at first glance, but are you sure that
this is the one that actually gets read in?

According to the Xlog.log you posted, the file that gets read in is
/etc/XF86Config (see below). I seem to recall you mentioned a different
location of your file in an earlier post.

In /etc/XF86Config, there seems to be a "Screen" section asking for a
"Monitor" section named "Primary Monitor" and a "Device" section named
"Primary Card", both of which are not supplied in the file you posted and
obviously neither in /etc/XF86Config. Hence the error of "none of the
configured devices were found".

So, try to make sure that the file you posted actually gets read in, and
if X still does not work, post the output again and we'll try from there.

> Unfortunately, I don't have the manual for the monitor, which is an
> off-brand that my son brought home from college with him (Dad inherits the
> junk! ;-))

If it has any name at all on it, have you tried typing this into
Google? I'm often amazed at what obscure knowledge you can dig up there.

If not, try looking up what other monitors of the same size offer and
start with conservative guesses (i.e. a little lower, especially if it's
an older monitor). But first, some Modelines have to be recognized at all.
Getting the right ones would be the second step ;)

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

  Manuel

> ----- xlog.log -----
> XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System
> [...]
> XF86Config: /etc/XF86Config
> [...]
> (**) Mach64: Graphics device ID: "Primary Card"
> (**) Mach64: Monitor ID: "Primary Monitor"