Re: How did linux corrupt hda1 (C: drive) fat16 filesystem?

> Quoting Matthew Dalton <matthewd@research.canon.com.au>:

> > > Probably yes.  Is there any way to recover?
> >
> > Have you tried running fsck.msdos under Linux?
>
> Not yet.  First, I had to reinstall linux.  Got potato up, but having
> xwoes etc etc.  Found fsck in /sbin; but my versions do not include
> fsck.msdos.  fsck reports that /mnt/hda1 has been corrupted....
>
> Incidentally, how do you search debian cdrom for fsck.msdos.  Locate
> doesn't seem to work.  I find the debs, but they are all organized in
> packages (like communications, etc), and I don't know where to look.

[13:44:40 /tmp]$ dpkg -S fsck.msdos
dosfstools: /sbin/fsck.msdos
dosfstools: /usr/share/man/man8/fsck.msdos.8.gz
[13:46:14 /tmp]$

Then you need the dosfstools package. But where on the CD is it?

[13:56:26 /tmp]$ grep dosfstools /var/lib/dpkg/available
Package: dosfstools
Filename: dists/woody/main/binary-i386/otherosfs/dosfstools_2.6-1.deb
[13:57:25 /tmp]$