Apt cache file corrupt??

I sucked down Sid the other night, and along the way one file
failed to download, I was using 'apt-get -d' so I could monitor
the update later.  So I grabbed this file, and a couple of others
on a 'doze box at work and put them on a floppy, with the intention
of using 'apt-cache add'.  But when I came to do this I got..

E:Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E:Problem with SelectFile

This seems (to me!) to imply some kind of lack of memory (MMap??)
So I made sure nothing much was running and tried again, but every
subsequent apt-cache add came up with..

E:The package cache file is corrupted.

Which made me think the .deb was corrupted via Windows
stoopidnes (It might still be I guess), but closer reading leads
me to think the apt cache is corrupt
(/var/cache/apt/packages.bin or whatever it is).....

The actual debs were copied off the floppy onto HD, and
the exact names reconstructed (they'd been mangled
by 'doze as usual)..

Sooo, anyone got any ideas? Various Googling and
slug.org/debian.org searches haven't yeilded anything yet.
Direct replies appreciated since I'm on digest...

thanks all...

Steve