Re: Eek! X won't go away!

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 04:55:51PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach Glenn Becker (on Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:14:48PM -0500):
> > I don't really know what the purpose of xdm is. There are packages to
> > 'prettify' it, but I just object to the whole thing. :-)
>
> well, do consider a console login and a 'startx', xlock running and
> you out on lunch break, while i come into your office, hit
> ctrl-alt-del, and scp all your confidential docs to me so that i can
> then exploit all this knowledge... sure you'd find out, but then it's
> too late.
>
> so if you dislike xdm, at least set NoZap in XF86Config!

Points to consider:
1.	Running xlock after you have started X from the console is silly,
insecure, and useless.
2.	It's Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, not Ctrl-Alt-Del.  And as I understand it,
Debian defaults to NoZap, so it wouldn't work anyway.
3.	If someone really was stupid enough to start X from the console and
then assume that xlock would work for them, all one would really need to
do is Ctrl-Alt-F(1-6), then Ctrl-C.  There's no stopping that, aside
from simply just not relying on xlock when you have logged in from
the console.  Stopping X and logging out isn't really all that hard.

-Rob