TCP failover in software

I am setting up some machines with libnss-ldap to replace /etc/passwd with
LDAP access for centralised account administration.
I am concerned at what will happen if the LDAP server goes down or
experiences a network failure.  I have a secondary LDAP configured but I need
a way to use it if the primary fails.

It seems that libnss-ldap does not support this (I have reported a wishlist
bug already).

Is there any software in Debian which can do this for me?  I imagine that it
wouldn't be THAT difficult to write a program to listen on a port and then
when a connection comes in it could make a connection to one of two other
addresses based on which machine is running reliably.

If there is no such software then I'll have to write a program myself.