specifying depth of 16 & above in xfree86-4

Hi,

I have an riva tnt graphics card with a nec multi-sync monitor capable of resolutions of up to 1024x768 @ 87hz interlaced but I can't seem to make XFree work above the color depth of 8??? I'd like to be able to run at least at 16 bpp or possibly 24 but I can't get past 8!!! whenever I try to run at 16 or 24 x-server doesn't start and complains and keeps looking for default depth 8. I can't understand why X loves 8 so much.

Am I missing something here?