Re: Printer recommendations

Alec Smith wrote:
> I'm faced with recommending a new printer for my parents as their old unit
> is starting to show its age. The goal is to find something for $350 or
> less which is Linux friendly since I'll also be using it. The printer will
> be connected to the LAN through an old HP JetDirect EX. Right now we're
> looking more towards a laser but I'd also be interested in inkjet
> recommendations as well.
>
> I had in mind to recommend the Lexmark Optra E312L as Egghead is offering
> it for $300. There is a straight E312 model which offers PostScript
> emulation, however its roughly $370 which may prove to be slightly over
> budget. Does anyone have experience with the E312L?
>
> As far as inkjets go, I generally like HPs. However, after finding out
> that a DeskJet 895Cse doesn't always work properly I'm not sure which are
> safe bets. I'm not looking for the ultra-cheap models as there's plenty of
> money to pay for a higher end model.

	Try> www.linuxprinting.org for a database of linux supported
printers and lots of good info.
	I only have experience with an Epson 860 inkjet which i set up
with 'printtool'. It works fine for my home computer needs and prints
everything i've asked it too. It was under a $100, but for text its only
slightly less sharp than a laser. Of course the ink refills are expensive
at about $18 for printing 400-500 text pages. But all things considered
i am very satisfied with this inexpensive printer.

--
LINUX~~nobody owns it~~everybody can use it~~anybody can improve it