MODEM LATENCY

I have been trying to use the apt-get update ; apt-get
install communicator to get Netscape downloaded from
the Debian non-free site that is in the sources. I can
connect and download but then I get timed out... I was
told on #Debian irc.debian.org that it might be a
latency problem...So I did a search on the wed and
found quite a bit of info and it all is saying to use
hdparm to check your hard drive.  I have 2 hard drives
and Debian is on hdb2(swap) 156M, hdb3(/) 5.6G. I have
tried as root and the response is, command not found.
What am I doing wrong, and will this help resolve the
latency problem, do I have to be in the /sbin or
/usr/sbin to run this comand? After I find the best
settings when do I need to place them so they will be
picked up on start up?
TIA
Don