Re: A modules question

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 12:58:26PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> I'm tryng to build a machien this weekend to see if I can use testing. I need
> largefile support, and that appaears to be the best way to get, but I also need a
> machine thats reliable enough for production work.
>
> In any case, I installed "stable" on this machine and all went well. It has an
> Intel Etherxpress Pro 100 NIC in it, which requires the eepro module to be loaded.
>
> I do this during install, and it is installed "permanently" such that when I reboot
> the machine it's reloaded.
>
> However after changing apt sources to point at "testing", and upgradeing this
> module was not laoded. So I reinstalled "stable" and I'm looking around to see how
> this is doen, so that I reproduce the setup afer upgradeing again.

what happened when you upgraded is that /etc/modules got replaced (and in
your case, eepro100 was listed there). When you install, the program that
configures modules writes the modules you want in /etc/modules, but during
upgrade it seems like you told dpkg to replace that file, thus loosing the
changes. just put "eepro100" in /etc/modules after upgrading, or don't tell
dpkg to replace the file, or use the "alias" feature (much cleaner)
explained in previous emails.

good luck

Alberto.