Problems getting debian to run SMP...

I just compiled a custom 2.4.2 kernel so I could trim it down and add SMP support. I selected SMP along the way, recompiled, changed my lilo.conf and rebooted. Upon reboot, 'uname -a' gives the following:

Linux debian 2.4.2   #1   SMP  Sun Feb 25 18:54:43 CST  i686  unknown

This line leads me to believe that SMP is compiled in properly. But, when I run 'top', it shows only 1 cpu. So, what's the deal here? The system does not appear to recognize both cpus, even though it's compiled into the kernel. Any ideas what the problem might be here?