Re: FTP Question

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 03:21:30PM -0500, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Martin Würtele wrote:
>
> ->On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 01:52:41PM -0500, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:
> ->>
> ->> Due to my office firewall and office policies I can not
> ->> FTP files to my office PC.  However I can ssh into my
> ->> office and then "rlogin" to my office PC.  At that point
> ->> I can use the IP address assigned to me by my ISP (info
> ->> from the ifconfig command )and FTP back to my home.
> ->
> ->why ftp back when you have ssh - use scp (secure copy), additionally with
> ->-C for compression to copy your files. this works fine for me and adds
> ->security as well.
> ->
> ->hth martin
>
> Using scp doesn't answer the question of why I can't FTP into
> into my home Debian box.

No, but it solves your problem, not:)

On the other hand real unixers like to know, so let's try to whip
something up.  IIRQ I've read some weeks ago on this very list that
ftp uses two ports, a control port and a data port, unless it's run in
passive mode.  Some firewalls block that second (data) port, and some
installs tell ftp(d?) to work in passive mode per default.

Hope this anwser pleases you more, else you'll have to dig in the
archives looking for 'passive mode ftp'.

--
groetjes, carel