Re: Kernel upgrade

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 12:30:31PM -0600, Jason N. Price wrote:
> I am going to try and upgrade my kernel so I can get my lame NIC to work
> (Linksys LNE100TX) and add SMP support.  I have  a couple of questions, though:
>
> 1) How do I install the source for my current kernel?  I'm running
> 2.2.18pre21, but there is nothing residing in /usr/src.  I think I forgot
> to add the source in the install and have no clue how to do it now.
>
> 2) I'm planning on upgrading to 2.4.2 - anything I should be aware of?  Is
> this a stable kernel?
>
> 3) Will I be okay if I download the kernel from my windows machine, burn it
> to cd, and then copy it to the linux box?  I've read that sometimes
> problems occur when things are downloaded in Windows to be used in LInux.
>
> 4) Any advice or warnings before I dive into this?  :)  I'm a new linux and
> debian user and this will be my first kernel compile...

Did you install off a CD?  If so just snag the kernel source off that.
Read - http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.html
That should answer a lot of questions.

When you upgrade to 2.4.2 read -
linux/Documentation/Changes
You will have to upgrade a few packages and this file has a section
explaining which ones.
hth,
kent

--