printer configuration

Dear lists,
I think I have a pretty good handle on my printer, buutttt..... the standard printcap file's text will only print one laddered line on a page. So I looked at FreeBSD's instructions, but they are not quite the same. It is an older HPLaserJetSeries 2. The original printcap was:
lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
  : lp=/dev/lp0;\
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
  :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
  :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
  :pl#66:\
  :pw#80:\
  :pc#150:\
  :mx#0:\
  :sh:                         I changed this to:

fugger|lp|HPLaserJetSeries2
sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/fugger:\
:lp=/dev/lp0
:if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple;\

where if-simple  transfers text from stdin to stdout

Would someone send me some tweaks so I can print ?? I've only had this "potato" less than a week and UNIX is my preferred C programming tool, but I'm stuck and I guess I'll have to use Visual C++ for a while because I can print long programs to debug.
Thank you gentlemen and ladies !!       Johnny