Need /dev/usb

I am running potato 2.2.12 but I have compiled a 2.4.1 kernel as I would like to use my printer (Epson Stylus Color 860) on a usb port. I configured the 2.4.1 kernel for a usb printer but there is no /dev/usb and MAKEDEV wont make one. How can I add the usb driver without unnecessarily compromising my stable 2.2.12 system? (For the record, I am stuck with a windows-only scanner on the parallel port. There is an old X-switch in my junk pile so I could put both the printer and the scanner on the parallel port if there is no easy usb solution.)