Re: Newbie Debian Networking Question (perhaps an easy one for a techie!)

Hi,

> Martin Marconcini wrote:

> I am an 'old' redhat user but a new debian one (i installed
> 2.1 today) I recompiled kernel to 2.2.18 (which is good enough for my hardware).

Looks like the other posters aren't getting the fact, that you've still
running slink (Debian 2.1 which is over two years old now, anyway).
There's no /etc/network infrastructure in slink, so you have to
configure your network the old way.  Substitutute the values below with
your actual values.  I assume, that your gateway is 10.0.0.1

# ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.6 netmask 255.0.0.0 broadcast 10.0.0.255 up
# route add default gw 10.0.0.1 eth0

The place to automate this in slink is /etc/init.d/network

After this, you should be able to reach hosts outside your subnet.

The first thing I would do now, is upgrading to potato (Debian 2.2) or
even woody (not yet released Debian 2.3), because potato has been the
stable release for over half a year now.  As a matter of fact, I
upgraded my router about two weeks ago from slink to potato and it went
totally smooth.

Make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list file contains the following
(substitute woody for potato, if you want the testing release):

# This is for Potato
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib
non-free

And now do an `apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade` and enjoy your
shining new Debian system.

HTH,
Viktor
--