Newbie Debian Networking Question (perhaps an easy one for a techie!)

Hello !

I am an 'old' redhat user but a new debian one (i installed 2.1 today) I recompiled kernel to 2.2.18 (which is good enough for my hardware).
Since 2.0.x does not support my Intel NIC out of the box. During the installation i didn't configure networking (thinking it was going to be easy later)(even when i did configure the 2.2.18 kernel to support networking and TCP/IP)

Now I did an ifconfig and my NIC is up and running (with an 10.0.0.66/255.255.0.0 ip/subnet). I can ping other hosts on the same subnet

Now the question is: In red hat i had linuxconf. In debian i think i only have 'vi' ;) now.. where for god's sake do i find the networking parameters? I need to configure the Gateway and the routes (in redhat by entering linuxconf under networking... in a glimpse you had all set) Or in etc/sysconfig. I'd like to see something like a network script in debian... since I am new to this flavor i've no idea where things are (i installed debian because i wanted to control my box.. rh does too much automatic stuff... which is dangerous).

I've been searching man pages but wasn't able to find it...

Any help would be appreciated.!!!

Thanks in advance!

Martin Marconcini