Re: dist-upgrade badly broken-XFree86

Thanks for the pointer.  I've got the installs done, though there are
definitely still some problems.

For the benefit of those who know even less than I, before you try the
dpkg you need to get or locate the corresponding .deb file.  For example,
I changed to the directory of the apt cache, and looked up the exact name
from the script:
dpkg --force-overwrite --install xbase-clients_4.0.2-1_i386.deb

I was reluctant to do the configure without having gotten through the first
step, so I did a series of apt-get (both -f install and dist-upgrade) interleaved
with dpkg --force-overwrite.  It was pretty ugly.

I filed a bug against general, which has already been closed!  Apparently xfree
has been cleaned up, but the changes haven't made it into woody.

I now have the gdm login screen showing, but every time I try to login it fails.
I haven't had a chance to look into it much--maybe my use of an X font server
is running aground on the new stricter access policies (not tcp X server) I took
as defaults.