Re: Confused! Confused! hotplug, kmod, kerneld, devfs, devfsd

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 01:47:37PM -0500, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> 	It is strictly speaking not a Debian question, but since I am using
> Debian... please help!! I am having trouble trying to sort out what each
> one of these things do: hotplug, kmod, kerneld, devfs, devfsd. I know they
> are not the same, but I don't know the differences. I check out the man,
> howtos and various documentation and still don't know what they really are.
> please help me explaining them. thanx

kmod is just an option in the kernel configuration to automatically
load kernel modules on demand.  there is no userland daemon to worry
about (just modutils which contains /sbin/modprobe)

hotplug is something very similar to kmod, its new with USB, its only
needed if you use USB extensivly and need certain actions to be
performed whem some devices are attached to the USB bus.

devfs is optional, you don't need it.  don't turn it on unless you
want to break your system, you must know what your doing to mess with
it.

devfsd adds symlinks to the fake devfs to make it compatible with the
standard naming convention.  you don't need it if you don't use
devfs.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/