Re: Building package from newer upstream source?

On 21-Feb-2001 Stuart Ballard wrote:
> Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>>
>> X is big and ugly.  Mail the maintainer for guidance.
>>
>> That said, if you just need the server for your card, you only need to
>> compile
>> that and drop it on the system, the rest of the packaging is independent of
>> that card support.
>
> Hmm. That sounds promising (I believe all the changes I need are only
> related to the drivers for the cards I'm interested in). Do you know
> where I might look for instructions on how to do this? (I get the
> impression, perhaps wrongly, from your post that this is a fairly common
> procedure). And do you know if it still applies in XFree 4.x where the
> "server" is xserver-xfree86 and the card drivers all live inside of the
> one server?

it is my understanding that xfree86 is just a wrapper program / lib that the
XFree people made that knows how to find the driver for your card.  Unlike svga
server, they split out the drivers into smaller loadable chunks.

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/neomagic_drv.o

is the module my card in my laptop uses.  You probably just need to drop your
own driver in there after it compiles.

Again, mail the X maintainer.