From: John Conover [mailto:conover@rahul.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 10:25 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: [OT]: UUCP

I've used, (and still do use,) uucp for email for all my domains. The
Taylor uucp which comes standard with Debian, (which has a mailing
list, taylor-uucp@gnu.org,) does work well over tcp/ip to port 540,
(but be advised, if you use it over the Internet, it uses a telnet
like login-as in ASCII login: and password:,) and works well with ssh
tunnels, (from anywhere on the planet to your ISP, or home box,) so
you can use a 10.x.x.x for your remote IP, and gather up mail for
multiple users, accounts, or machines on demand, (and handles Bcc:'s
and Fcc:'s correctly.)

It is perfectly compatible with exim, qmail, and sendmail, for
receiving email for a domain of machines and users, and handles domain
addressing, (as well as "bam" addressing.)

It is a reasonably secure way of handling email for a domain, and is
rock solid-and doesn't require exposing any ports to the I-vandals, or
spammers.

Unfortunately, uucp providers are becoming few and far between.

        John

listmaster@lists.debian.org
--

John Conover        Tel. 408.370.2688  conover@rahul.net