Re: fonts

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:00:39PM -0700, user list wrote:
> I'm sure this is an old question but gv and ghostview give me the
> following error when I try to load a file with an .eps graphics file
> embedded

What do you mean a "file" with an eps graphic embedded?  This *is* a
PostScript[tm] or PDF file, no?

> Error: /invalidfontAladdin Ghostscript: Unrecoverable error, exit code
> 1 in findfont Operand stack: --nostringval--   --nostringval--   6
> --nostringval--   Helvetica-Bold   Font   Helvetica-Bold   265146
> Helvetica-Bold   --nostringval--   Helvetica-Bold   NimbusSanL-Bold
> Execution stack: %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1
> %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_
>
> This doesn't happen with the gnome-gv, so the font is somewhere. How
> do I find it and how do I point to it?

It's weird that it doesn't happen with gnome-gv, since they all use
"ghostscript" to render the postscript.  Since Helvetica-Bold should be
a "built-in" font with ghostscript, I suspect your (a) missing the font
or font metrics for some reason, (b) your /etc/gs.Fontmap is somehow
messed up, or (c) your PostScript is badly formed.  It may be possible
to get GV to render it by turning off the -dNOPLATFONTS in GV's
GhostScript options.  If the PostScript is bad, you might be able to fix
it up with one of the "fixps" utilities.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>