Re: LILO on my windows partition

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 11:52:44AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
| The Doctor writes:
| > Like an idiot, I accidentally wrote a LILO boot into my windows
| > partition, so nw booting from my LILO to windows (on /dev/hda3) starts up
| > another LILO that croaks with LI is there a way to be able to boot
| > windows again?
|
| Run 'lilo -u /dev/hda3'.  This tells lilo to put the mbr back the way it
| found it.

This is a good lifesaver.  I had to install RH6.2 on a machine at work
(for testing our product) and it didn't ask, it simply overwrote the
mbr.

Then I tried grub.  Get it from www.gnu.org, download the
grub-0.5.96-1-i386.ext2fs file.  Then copy it to a floppy using dd or
rawrite and reboot.  Grub is a piece of cake to get working.  It boots
both Linux and Win2k out-of-the-box without any trouble.  I had never
used grub before, but it only took about a minute before I had both
systems booting cleanly.  The kernel is on the hd _above_ the 1024
cylinder too.

You can configure grub as you are booting (unlike lilo which requires
you to boot a system first) and then set /boot/grub/menu.lst to
however suits you.

(just note that grub uses zero-based indexing, so /dev/hda3 is (hd0,2)
to grub, you'll understand when you look at the menu.lst file or boot
the sample one)

I will never use lilo again, grub is just too cool!
-D