Re: who/finger output - billions of pts

re,

Erdmut Pfeifer(e.pfeifer@science-computing.de)@Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 07:21:09PM +0100:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 12:57:52PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:

> > why is this? what's different about wtmp/utmp (i presume) on
> > suse/redhat than on debian? i don't want finger to show 20+ logins of
> > my account when all i did was login once and opened xterms
> > otherwise...
> >
> > any pointers?
>
> rxvt has a compile-time option for wtmp/utmp support. Maybe that's
> where the distros differ...
> For testing purposes you might want to roll one your own rxvt
> (reasonably simple) without wtmp/utmp support and see if the
> problem/feature goes away.
> (Or, if you are lucky, the one from SuSe runs on Debian too...)

or just remove the -s bit, then it won't be able to write to the [uw]tmp file.
I don't know if it's sgid or suid but just chmod 0755 it.

(note: I can't check it here as none of my Workstations run Debian for the moment.
I know, I know, but for work I had to install Mandrake, and on my Powerbook the thing that installed the fastest was Suse which I got from a friend.
And here in Sri Lanka, the lines are too slow to download the cdimage in a reasonable timespan, I should get one of those cheapbytes sent to me (which will probably take 2 months to get here *sigh*))

--
	 People using html in email should be shot.

There's more than one way to skin a cat:
	Way number 32 -- Wrap it around a lonely frat man's pecker.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.