Re: who/finger output - billions of pts

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 12:57:52PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> hey all,
> want to help me figure something out? i am a former redhat/suse person
> finally having ascended to debian. there is something peculiar that i
> noticed which i cannot explain with my (pretty good) linux knowledge.
>
> so on either suse or debian, i use xdm to start windowmaker after login
> and i have some 20 or so rxvt's created for my convenience at startup.
>
> on the suse machine, the finger output with a local windowmaker
> session and a remote ssh login looks as follows:
>
> Login     Name       Tty      Idle  Login Time   Office     Office Phone
> madduck   MaD dUCK  *:0             Feb 18 10:42 Robot Lab 1-610-328x8618
> madduck   MaD dUCK   pts/2          Feb 20 12:48 (d136.sproul.swarthmore.edu)
>

> on my debian system, finger looks as follows:
>
> Login    Name               Tty      Idle  Login Time   Office Office Phone
> madduck  MaD dUCK           :0             Feb 19 16:00 (console)
> madduck  MaD dUCK           pts/0   19:16  Feb 19 16:01 (:0)
> madduck  MaD dUCK           pts/2   19:15  Feb 19 16:02 (:0)
>
> and a line for every terminal i opened on :0
>
> why is this? what's different about wtmp/utmp (i presume) on
> suse/redhat than on debian? i don't want finger to show 20+ logins of
> my account when all i did was login once and opened xterms
> otherwise...
>
> any pointers?

rxvt has a compile-time option for wtmp/utmp support. Maybe that's
where the distros differ...
For testing purposes you might want to roll one your own rxvt
(reasonably simple) without wtmp/utmp support and see if the
problem/feature goes away.
(Or, if you are lucky, the one from SuSe runs on Debian too...)

Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --