#!/usr/bin/tclsh not working

Hi:

   I tried the following simple script with tclsh:

   #!/usr/bin/tclsh
   puts stdout {Hello, World!}
   ( from Brent B. Welch, Practical Programmin in Tcl and Tk)

   made the file (Hello) executable and typed . hello
   and I get the error bash: puts: command not found.

   I also tried

   #!/usr/bin/sh
   exec tclsh "$0" "$@"
   puts stdout {Hello, World!}

   This does not work either.

   However if I type

   wish hello

   it works.

   I thought that perhaps because tclsh was linked to
   /etc/alternatives/tclsh there was a problem. So I copied
   tclsh8.2 to TCLSH and used in the first line TCLSH instead
   of tclsh, and it still does not work.

   Is this a bug in the tclsh program, that when it is in a script
   it can only be called by wish?

   Can someone give me a hint about what s going on here and whether
   I can get around this. I am using Debian Linux, Potato.

   Thanks

   Sebastian Canagaratna
   Department of Chemistry
   Ohio Northern University