Re: script to configure IP address

Brian Stults wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop with debian (unstable) installed on it.  Sometimes I use
> it at home and sometimes I use it at work.  At work, it has a direct
> connection to the internet, so it has its own IP.  At home, its
> connection is masqueraded through my main linux box which shares a cable
> modem.  There, the address of the laptop is 192.168.0.2.  Anyway, the
> addresses are different at both places, but they are both static
> addresses.
>
> Can someone think of a way that I can configure the startup scripts to
> know which IP address needs to be used?  I have complete control of the
> linux box at home, so I could use DHCP there, but I couldn't configure
> DHCP at work.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks.

One possibility is to use the schemes provided by the PCMCIA package.
Basically what you do is set up the different configurations as schemes in
the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file.  Then, when you start the laptop you
issue the command "cardctl scheme <scheme_name>" to switch schemes.

I'm using this method on my laptop which goes from a DHCP LAN here at home
to school where I need to use a fixed IP.

IIRC the docs that describe the schemes would be the network.opts manpage, but I
won't swear to it.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.