Re: Putting computer on standby or sleep

Tyler Braun wrote:

> I think xset dpms is what you're looking for. Do man xset for the full story,
> but if I do:
>
>         xset dpms 0 0 3600

This will only turn off the monitor (a substantial saving by itself),
but won't power down additional hardware such as hard drives.

You can spin down IDE drives with hdparm.  If I'm not mistaken, the CPU
does idle calls automatically when there's nothing to do for more than a
couple of hundred milliseconds, so the CPU won't waste much energy
either.  As for other parts (e.g. fans) I don't know, but there were
some threads on the topic "hibernation on a desktop? Suspend-to-RAM on a
desktop" and "apm/hdparm/power-supply saga, latest installment" last
september, so you might want to check the archives.

Cheers, Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/