Re: KDE setup

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:08:46 -0500, Daniel Jones
<ddjones@speakeasy.org> wrote:

>Running Debian 2.2 w/ kernel 2.4.1 and XFree86 4.0.2.  I've
>had a lot of trouble getting KDE installed and running.  I
>now have it limping along but everything isn't quite kosher.
>
>The next problem is kdm.  It displays a graphical
>representation of the machines users.  However, in my case
>it also shows every directory immediately under the root:
>bin, dev, home, etc. as if they were users.  I'm reasonably
>sure that this isn't correct behavior.  I assume that kdm
>should be looking under the /home directory and listing all
>of the directories it finds there, and there's a
>misconfigured or missing configuration file which is causing
>it to look under / rather than /home.  I found kdm.options
>and xdm-config under /etc/X11/kdm but neither seems to
>affect this.  man kdm.options mentions nothing about users
>or the home directories and there doesn't seem to be a man
>page on xdm-config.

And of course showing the root directory isn't what's
happening.  kdm is displaying all users, including the
various system daemon users.  There's a kdm configuration
tool that's part of the control center in KDE.  It allows
you to select which users are displayed, but it isn't
working.  That is, I can select the proper users but the
settings aren't saved.  When I logout or restart the
xserver, all users are back.