Re: cannot forward X11

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 07:01:43PM -0500, Anthony Fox wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently upgraded to XF4.0.2.  I cannot forward some remote
> computers' DISPLAY to my local XServer.  For example, I have a FreeBSD
> firewall for which I cannot forward the DISPLAY variable to the Debian
> box.  I can forward local accounts, such as root, and run X11 apps.  I
> can forward a remote linux ssh connection and run X11 apps.  It is
> only the FreeBSD box that refuses to forward it's DISPLAY.  I have
> been able to forward X11 displays from the BSD box to a RH6.2 linux
> box at work.
>
> >From the local box:
> [ant@thedebianbox] ~ $ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
>
> >From the BSD box:
> [ant@bsdbox] ~ $ export DISPLAY=<thedebianbox>:0
> [ant@bsdbox] ~ $ xload &
> Error: Can't open display:  <thedebianbox>:0
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is and what I can do?

not sure, but it may have to do with your firewall settings...
Direct (non-tunneled) X connections use the port range 6000+N (where N
is the display number, i.e. :0 = 6000, :1 = 6001, ...), so packets
destined for these ports need to be routed correctly.
Can you establish an X connection through an ssh tunnel?
(you probably know that you don't need to / should not set the DISPLAY
variable yourself when using ssh to forward X, as it's doing it for
you)

Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --