Re: DocBook - db2pdf and db2ps problems

[resending, I had bad mail configuration which killed my outbound
 mail]

Henning Hansen <hh@2m.dk> writes:

> I tried the debian-user list, but my question was probably too sgml
> specific, so I repost it here:

Ok, I'm crossposting reply.

> > I'm a newcomer to Debian and Linux in general, and my current job is
> > limited to prepare documentation using docbook on Debian.
> >
> > I do have some problems, and when I try to search information about
> > docbook, I end up with RedHat specific advice.
> >
> > Are the following problems with db2pdf and db2ps due to my Debian
> > installation, and does anyone know what to do about it:
> >

> >  - Graphics, especially for PDF output:
> >
> >    I have been adviced to use the PNG graphics format, but my version of
> >    the docbook tools (probably jadetex) does not know .png.
> >    OK, I can do without PNG, but worse is that I cannot find a way to
> >    include graphics in PDF files at all. PDF is also not known as a
> >    graphics format, and other formats don't work.

I think you are pointing out that docbook doesn't recognize PDF as a
graphics notation.  This is true and is a known bug in Docbook.

You can work around this by putting this in your document preamble:

<!DOCTYPE ... [

<!-- docbook itself should include this -->
  <!ENTITY % local.notation.class "| PDF">
  <!NOTATION PDF SYSTEM "PDF">

]>

> >  - Font problem, Postscript and PDF:
> >
> >    I needed to include the 'µ' (micron) letter in my text, and this
> >    makes db2pdf and db2ps (dvips to be more exact) ask for a font file
> >    called lbmr.pfb. It's not there, and while the letter will be left
> >    out in the PDF output, the Postscript file contains no text at all
> >    because of this.

Ah. This is bug#39711 and is fixed in a rejected upload of JadeTeX.
I'll re-upload it, but you'll have to force \@ifpackageloaded{lucidabr}
to fail.  I think it runs by default in tetex even though the actual
pfb files are non-free and not included.

Would it be possible to send me a *small* docbook SGML file that has
these characters?  I'd like to follow up with this -- I think there's
a tetex bug here that it's enabling the lucidabr font package by
default.

> >  - BeginPage tag:
> >
> >    The <beginpage> tag does not seem to work at all, it's supposed to
> >    induce a pageshift in printed output.
> >
> > I have seen no mention of these problems anywhere, so I wonder if it
> > works for everybody else, or am i the only person to actually prepare
> > documentation for printout using docbook on Debian?

Again, provide a sample file, and I can check it.  May be  a
docbook-stylesheets (DSSSL) bug.

> > If somebody can commment on the state of docbook on Debian in general
> > (not specific to my problems above), this will also be of interest.

We're actively working right now on compliance with a new packaging
format.

I've been doing a lot of work on JadeTeX and OpenJade.  Apparently,
with the woody packages, table output in particular is much much
better for the TeX backends.

We're also actively working on providing an XSL toolchain, but that
still has a while to go.