Re: open ports remaining

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 10:46:40PM -0800, aphro@portal.aphroland.org wrote:

> the best way ive found to disable portmap is to rename /sbin/portmap
> to something else. there are so many different things that may call
> on it, its just easier for me to rename it then modify a bunch of

just make sure you rename it with dpkg-divert or else you will just
get a new /sbin/portmap the next time netbase gets upgraded (say if
there were a security release).

fortunatly in woody portmap is split into its very own package so you
can disable it the Right Way: apt-get --purge remove portmap ;-)

myself i have not had problems with just doing a simple rm -f
/etc/rcS.d/*portmap, along with purging nfs-common, nfs-*server, and
nis (which is not priority standard).

> scripts. as for smtp it depends what MTA your using, if you dont
> plan on having a mail server i would reccomend using postfix as it's
> easy to get it to listen on the internal network interfaces and
> not the external. domain is the DNS, usually bind. you can remove
> it if you want. ssh is fine.
>
> also be sure to run a UDP portscan as well. (nmap -sU) i also
> reccomend if your not already to scan all ports with -p 1-65535

hehe and then go away for a week or three while it works on that ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/