Re: XFree86 4.0.2 - Very low resolution - how to increase? -SOLVED

On 18 Feb 2001, Brad Hubbard wrote:

> > Xfree 4.x has TWO config files........unlike the old Xfree 3.x
> >
> > Make sure you are changing both files and not just the old type
> XFree86.cfg
> > one
> >
> > Took me a while to figure this one out
>
> Presumably one is /etc/X11/XF86Config, what's the other one?
>
> Cheers,
> Brad
>
> Congo Systems
> 12 Northgate Drive, Thomastown, VIC 3074
> Phone (03) 9464 5981  Fax (03) 9464 5982
> Mobile 0419 107 559  Email  brad@congosystems.com
> Website www.congosystems.com

Actually I don't think the above is right. I now seem to have got X-4
working and there is only ONE config file; the old one is redundant.

I've done the following:

1. run xf86config and generate /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

2. remove or rename /etc/XF86Config. (If you leave it, it does no harm,
but it isn't doing anything.)

3. Change the link /etc/X11/X to point to /usr/bin/X11/XFree86.

It's no. 3 which I was missing; I found it thanks to another poster
on this list (Mirek Kwasniak).

There seems to be a good deal of confusion hereabouts concerning this
upgrade and I don't know if what I did is what you are supposed to do,
but it does work here.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Gnu/Debian Linux (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books, skeptical essays, and over 120 book reviews, go to:

To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity.
[I.A. Richards]