Re: Kernel compile comments

First install required packages other ppl posted.

Also applying flavour patch before compiling may be good practice.

If you are after fresh install, RH 6.2 installed with Expert mode
serves you OK.  Debian's strength is continuous security patch
and upgrades.  (Do not bother RH 7.0)

Debian can upgrade running daemon very gracefully.  No need to stop
them manually.  RH can not do this.

It takes time to appreciate Debian but it is worth it.

Learn on RH until getting good idea about Linux maybe your option.

Regards,
Osamu

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +
+   Fingerprint: 814E BD64 3288 40E7 E88E  3D92 C3F8 EA94 D5DE 453D   +