Re: Kernel compile comments

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 10:09:03PM -0500, Michael A. Howard wrote:
> Testing debian to see if it meets my requirements for installation on a few
> servers to replace RedHat 6.1 & 6.2.
> I am a very happy RedHat user except it installs too many items like X that
> are unecessary for a server & nearly impossible to remove after the fact.
>
> After reading about the other distro's merits I downloaded debian potato
> (this process needs to be be easier for new users, but I recognize that from
> this point on if I need a new release I won't have to download an entire
> distibution) and did the install which went OK, and was infact easier than
> the comments I had read suggested it was going to be.
>
> I then wanted to compile a kernel to meet the machine requirements, and not
> use modules. I must have built a million kernels (well a few hundred anyway)
> over the years so this is NOT a new process to me.
>
> OK so the kernel sources are not installed by default, so I figure out
> dselect and install the sources, unpack them & run make menuconfig
> I get - curses.h: No such file or directory. I rerun dselect and check that
> ncurses and ncurses-devel are installed and they are but this file is not
> there?
>
> So I try to run make xconfig, this goes OK until I do make bzImage and now I
> get .../sched.h:557 Internal compiler error in 'emit_move_insn_1 at expr
> .c:2759
>
> It appears to me that it is not possible to build a new kernel with a stable
> release of debian.
>
> I don't have the time to debug broken software, I expected that basic stuff
> like this would work without a problem on any release.
>
> Comments or suggestions welcome but it looks like I have wasted my time and
> should have stayed with RH

It really isn't necessary to troll on this list to get help.  curses.h
is in -
libncurses5-dev
Which you can find for yourself at -
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

You can find where to get sched.h the same way.

I would encourage you to read the documentation on how to compile a
kernel the debian way at -
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.html
After you learn how to do that, you can reflect on how many key strokes
you wasted compiling a few 100 kernels the other way;)
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted