XFree86 4.0.2 upgrade

Recently I installed XFree86 on my Intel box in the hopes of getting the
NVIDIA drivers up and running.  I changed the config files for apt to
point to the unstable distro and did the upgrade but it didn't seem to
work.  Currently I can't even get X up and running and am thinking about
reinstalling potato, however I would like to avoid that.  Here is the
error message I get.

X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X

After checking I find the file does exist under /usr/X11R6/bin/X.  I
tried to simply copy it to the etc/X11 no luck.  Tried to create a
symlink in X11 no luck.  Copying it I get a message like this:
waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
..
..
..
..
..
..(ad naseum)
Has anyone run into something similar?  I have run xf86config and
manually checked to make sure the xserver packages and fonts are
installed.  Any enlightment that could be given is greatly appreciated.

PS no need to CC I subscribe.