Modules, modprobe, and 2.4.1 kernel

Hello all,

   I recently configured, compiled, and installed the 2.4.1 kernel.  So
far things are going ok with it.

However, modprobe has stopped working correctly, and can't find any
modules.

I looked in /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/drivers/net .... and found drivers
(3c509.o) for the modules I am trying to load, however modprobe can't
find them.
If I go into the /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/drivers/net  directory and
use "insmod 3c509.o", then insmod will load the module.

Why can't modprobe find my modules any more?  It worked fine on my older
2.0.36 and 2.2.14 kernels?
What do I need to do to tell modprobe where to find the new modules?

Thanks for any help you can give!

---Dean Roman  (droman@chattycow.com)