Re: named dies mysteriously

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 09:11:44PM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I am running bind 8.2.2p7-1.

vulnerable to root compromise.

> Every couple days, I notice that named is just not running. No errors in
> syslog, nothing. Before I had a couple duplicate entries in the
> named.conf file, and I thought maybe removing them fixed the problem,
> but it didn't. All I can do is just restart the daemon. I would prefer
> to not wait it out continuously because I don't like the downtime, but I
> did turn on a debugging option in ndc (hasn't crashed since then, but I
> think it is only a matter of when).

named crashes when the root exploit is run against it, but not before
giving the attacker a shell.  your box has probably suffered a root
compromise, unless of course you changed your bind setup to not run as
root (and run it in chroot preferably).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/