Re: ssh and devices

To quote Rick Rezinas <rick@beerdrinker.org>,
# Hi,
#
# I'm using testing
# I was having an issue (think I saw a post regarding this recently),
# where a regular user couldn't use ssh due to ' no controlling tty'
#
# I found that the issue was an inability for nonroot to write to
/dev/tty
# and changed o+w for /dev/tty
#
# Now all seems happy, but I was curious if this is actually a good fix
or
# creates a security issue...and why this would've been changed.  Also,
what
# packages are in charge of which devices...is there a debian standard
for this
# or do package maintainers just create and modify devices as they see
fit?

I think the "correct" fix would be to change the group of all the tty*
devices to the "tty" group. Then, when you log in, it gets temporarily
changed to your own group ID. So, permissions should be rw-rw----, with
"tty" as group, "root" as owner.

I think. :)

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)