ssh and devices

Hi,

I'm using testing
I was having an issue (think I saw a post regarding this recently),
where a regular user couldn't use ssh due to ' no controlling tty'

I found that the issue was an inability for nonroot to write to /dev/tty
and changed o+w for /dev/tty

Now all seems happy, but I was curious if this is actually a good fix or
creates a security issue...and why this would've been changed.  Also, what
packages are in charge of which devices...is there a debian standard for this
or do package maintainers just create and modify devices as they see fit?

thanks
rick