OffTopic - What's the proper way to...

I've got a web site that has some protected data.  On some of the pages
I have javascript that does some calculations.  Right now I have it so
if they click on the link to that page it auto asks for username/password,
however, what I would like to do is let them "see" the page and only
ask for username/password once they click the "calculate" button.  Is this
type of thing done thru the use of cgi scripts or what.  There is probably
more than one "way" to do it but I'd be interested in some opinions in
a good way to accomplish this.

Wm