Fetchmail & Sendmail

I'm using the fetchmail-procmail-sendmail combo to get mail off of a
mailserver, filter it, and read it locally.  I'm using that same mail
server to pass sent mail to.

In this case, I don't know if sendmail is overkill and if I should be
using something different.

What I'd like to fix is this...

When fetchmail gets mail, I think it passes it to sendmail which
checks to make sure the domain exists.  Today, my DNS servers listed
in /etc/resolv.conf were down, and all the mail I fetched got bounced
and lost.  I'd like for this not to happen and get any and all mail
that is in my box no matter if it's spam and has an unresolvable
domain or not.  How can I set this up?

Thanks,
Rob