xwd (GIMP) screen cap error

Hi. I get an error sometimes when attempting a screen capture:

xwd: Warning. Error in XWD-color-structure (flag)
xwd: EOF encountered on reading
xwd: load_image (xwd): XWD-file /root/.gimp/tmp/gimp_temp.277523.xwd has
format 2, depth 24
and bits per pixel 24.
Currently this is not supported.

What's this trying to tell me?

Strangely, sometimes screen capture has a problem and sometimes it doesn't.
If Netscape is up on the screen then screen caps tend to work better. Why
would this be? I'm trying to capture screens containing different video
players (so I can show what the players look like). I can capture (with
difficulty) everything but Xtheater.

Please pardon if this is the wrong place to ask this. I'm guessing it is a
system configuration error, not really an xwd or GIMP problem. I'm running
Potato and XFree 3.3.x. If there is a better place to ask let me know.

Thanks,

Robin