Re: Wake Up on LAN

Oki DZ wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Barthazi Andras wrote:
> > I should have to write a Backup system at my
> > company, and I need a program can wake up
> > the workstations. I know that I have to send
> > the the "Magic code", do you know a program
> > can solve it for me?
>
> http://www.scyld.com/expert/wake-on-lan.html
>
> >And is it true, that
> > I can just wake up a machine that suspended
> > before (not a machine turned off -- with a
> > motherboard under power)?
>
> The program to wake up the machies is there, I have compiled it, but I
> haven't tried it yet; I don't know the meaning of "soft-powering-off" a
> machine. All I know is "shutdown -h now" or "poweroff"; on ATX boards, it
> means that the machines would be shut down.

	According to my Abit KT7 mb manual: Soft-Off by PWRBTN is
activated when the user presses the power button for more than four
seconds, while the system is in the working state, then the system will
transition to the soft-off(Power off by software).
	When the Wake-Up on LAN is enabled, a wake up event, like using
the PCnet Magic Packet utility will awaken a system which has been
powered down.
	Of course the exact method of operation may vary with different
mother boards.