Re: Wake Up on LAN

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 04:56:10PM +0100, Barthazi Andras wrote:
| Hi!
|
| I should have to write a Backup system at my
| company, and I need a program can wake up
| the workstations. I know that I have to send
| the the "Magic code", do you know a program
| can solve it for me? And is it true, that
| I can just wake up a machine that suspended
| before (not a machine turned off -- with a
| motherboard under power)?

I don't know much about WOL, but my ethernet card (LinkSys) has WOL
capability.  From what I gather, the ethernet card gets plugged into a
special plug on the motherboard (there is a cable on the card).  When
the ethernet card gets some signal, it sends the appropriate signal to
the motherboard, which then wakes up the system.  I don't know what
the signals are or how to config the system but I do know that the
motherboard must support it.

-D